hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/30/14 11:57:39 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/22/04 10:48:35 PM 

yeah Aba, read the sequel, "The Tenth Insight", cunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/22/04 11:56:10 PM 

Abadawn wrote:
EYEo wrote:
damn, it's probably been mentioned a dozen times but The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield is fucking AWESOME. it really is a life changing book, basically. i just finished it so now i got The Tenth Insight which is the sequel.

Thanks to ME for refferring it to you 8) lol

right now i'm reading The Greatest Miracle In The World, by Og Mandino...

has anyone else heard or read this?
it sounded like a religious book when it ws first given to me so i wasn't quite interested...but the other day had nothing to read and started it, the story is quite phenomenal...
it is a short book so i should be done soon...

it's an inspirational story about Og Mandino after becoming a best selling author and recieving a lot of praise for a book he wrote called "The Greatest Salesman in the World" he meets an old man and is interested by him...after talking and sharing stories Og realizes that this man actually lived the life of the character he wrote about in his previous book...
this is how far I am, it is quite interesting tho..

LOL i read that in rehab, it was an alright read though i liked it
I'm reading Food of the Gods:The Search for the Original Tree of KnowledgeA Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution
by Terrence McKenna just cracked it open

Post subject: check this
PostPosted: 05/01/04 07:15:48 AM 

The picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde
this is truly an exceptional book which is more relvant to the western society than ever.
as many great classic this book can be taken on many levels.
however if you dig into it deep enough you will find various interesting themes such as the hedonisitic philosophy and the whole notion of evil.
i advise it to everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/20/04 04:21:08 PM 

I'm now reading, Beloved by Toni Morrison...so far its pretty dark, but I thoroughly enjoy Morrison's style in writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/30/04 04:12:12 PM 

The devil in the White City about the world fair...semi-interesting but i need a novel, think i'll read East of Eden again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/13/04 02:15:52 PM 

I dunno if there have been mentioned yet cause i diidt take the time to go through all

Visiojnary Business
Think and Grow Rich - Napolean Hill

Mayan Prophecies
Fingerprints of the gods
The 12th Planet

books by this guy James Mccanney hes ahead of his time..

http://www.jmccanneyscience.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/25/04 06:39:44 AM 

I'm reading 3 books at once right now..Switching between 'em depending on my mood..

"Savage Nation" by Michael Savage
"Tender Is The Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
"The History Of African American People; (Proposed) by Strom Thurmond" by Percival Everett & James Kincaid..

I win..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/29/04 10:35:50 PM 

Read "All Souls" its a great story about southie boston duran the time of forced bussing in a irish comunity run by whity bulger and corrupted by conspirices on both sides of tha law u realy gotta reas this book its an eye opener

So Rappers get bitting, crunched nd chewed on like croutons
Petty small time gangstas think too small
They died cause they tried to shoot arms and I threw bombs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/01/04 05:46:36 AM 

The Red Tent

The Torah (Genesis 34) tells us that Dina, Jacob's only daughter, is forcibly taken and raped by a powerful prince. Her brothers, unbeknown to their father, free her in a surgically planned guerilla strike.

In the surprising best-selling book, "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant, it appears that "no" may very well mean, "yes." Diamant retells the story as the blending of two cultures and the desire of a woman to find love at any cost. Dina was not raped, says the author of "The Red Tent." Rather, she eloped and intermarried, throwing caution to the wind, allowing herself to be swept off her feet, guided by her heart and her love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/02/04 01:13:29 AM 

DocDaWhooOfEpidemic wrote:
The Red Tent

The Torah (Genesis 34) tells us that Dina, Jacob's only daughter, is forcibly taken and raped by a powerful prince. Her brothers, unbeknown to their father, free her in a surgically planned guerilla strike.

In the surprising best-selling book, "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant, it appears that "no" may very well mean, "yes." Diamant retells the story as the blending of two cultures and the desire of a woman to find love at any cost. Dina was not raped, says the author of "The Red Tent." Rather, she eloped and intermarried, throwing caution to the wind, allowing herself to be swept off her feet, guided by her heart and her love.

Sounds real interesting. I'ma check that out next time I pass a Mom-&-Pop bookstore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/02/04 07:31:30 AM 

Ducksauce wrote:
DocDaWhooOfEpidemic wrote:
The Red Tent

Sounds real interesting. I'ma check that out next time I pass a Mom-&-Pop bookstore.

the story was that when jacob and his family were travelling they came upon a land where they could rest. the prince you mention was actually the son of a noble, a governor or something like that. he allowed jacob to dwell in his land provided that jacob and his family join him in a feast and form an alliance. jacob hesitated but then agreed since he saw his family was in need of much rest. at the feast, the son of the governor wanted dinah and with the help of his sister got her drunk, alone in the sister's bedroom and raped her. after dinah's jacob and her brothers found out, they wanted to kill the man but the governor instead offered that they be married. jacob agreed, the brothers thought that bringing shame upon their sister was to bring shame on them and they conspired and that night slaughtered all of the governor's guards, the governor, his son and his daughter. jacob was, of course, pissed and they packed up and moved.

imma check it out too since i like revisionist theories.

Quote:
Look daddy. The boats are swimming on the water...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/14/04 12:13:37 PM 

This may have been mentioned...

Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception - A classic documentation of mescaline experimentation by this brilliant literary mind during the 50's.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game - In my opinion, one of the 25 best books of the 20th century. Young children trained as soldiers...

For those interested in Christ-era Judea - Milton Steinberg's As A Driven Leaf is a wonderful story of a young Jew who is torn between his tradition and the Greek culture of the day. He paints a great picture of Jewish life in the period.

J.D. Salinger's A Catcher in the Rye is awesome.

peace,
Akiva

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/14/04 12:25:00 PM 

psykflowz wrote:
This may have been mentioned...

Aldous Huxley's Doors of Perception - A classic documentation of mescaline experimentation by this brilliant literary mind during the 50's.

Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game - In my opinion, one of the 25 best books of the 20th century. Young children trained as soldiers...

For those interested in Christ-era Judea - Milton Steinberg's As A Driven Leaf is a wonderful story of a young Jew who is torn between his tradition and the Greek culture of the day. He paints a great picture of Jewish life in the period.

J.D. Salinger's A Catcher in the Rye is awesome.

peace,
Akiva

loved this book, i'm bout to go to the bookstore and pick up some reading on sacred geometry if there is any...i recently read To Kill A Mockingbird for the second time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/15/04 09:17:10 PM 

Here's one I don't think anyone's mentioned:

Animal Farm

I haven't read the entire book yet but even so it's really interesting. If you like 1984, you'll like this one fa sho sho! George Orwell has an interesting style of writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/21/04 09:07:03 PM 

Minitcha wrote:
FuStandStillFu wrote:
Malcolm X autobiography..

I'm reading that too.

started it up last night and am almost halfway through...good read

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/27/04 05:40:22 PM 

Merkaba wrote:
Minitcha wrote:
FuStandStillFu wrote:

I'm reading that too.

Well i'm almost done'''great fuckin read'''i was thinking about picking up Celestine Prophecies at the bookstore'''shall I?'''

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/30/04 04:37:36 PM 

By The River Piedra, I Sat and Wept - Paulo Coelho.

For anyone that has Loved, is in Love, or Scared of Love. For those seeking, or on, a Spiritual Journey to get more in touch with themselves, and ultimately God. It's a book about Taking Risks.

Absolutely Beautiful and Inspirational. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/31/04 04:47:49 AM 

I just finished reading:

Chester Himes - Cotton Comes To Harlem

Macchiavelli - The Prince

Some philosophies in this book still apply in today's business-world. And it's a classic....

Just started "Moby Dick"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/31/04 10:36:00 AM 

Merkaba wrote:
Minitcha wrote:
FuStandStillFu wrote:

I'm reading that too.

I have known lots of people that have started this and were pretty discouraged to finish, which is quite sad. Malcolm's character really developes during the second half of the book. Easily one of my very favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/31/04 04:00:36 PM 

gruff rhyma wrote:
I just finished reading:

Chester Himes - Cotton Comes To Harlem

Macchiavelli - The Prince

Some philosophies in this book still apply in today's business-world. And it's a classic....

Just started "Moby Dick"
How's "Moby Dick"? I was an English major and never read it! :oops: But I really love "Billy Budd" (also Melville). I've wanted to read "The Prince" but haven't ever gotten around to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next