hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 11/27/14 03:35:49 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few recent finds
PostPosted: 07/25/09 03:36:37 PM 

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - s/t

Gorgeous little indie pop record. Great melodies, simple rhythms, and some straight forward excellent song writing. 'Stay Alive' has become one my favourite songs. Gay.

Jesus Chain is a lazy comparison but think of a bit of them, a bit of post-Daydream Nation, pre-late 90s experimentalism Sonic Youth, a bit of Shop Assistants, early Cure... just good shit innit.

Grouper - whatever.... I've just bought her split with Inca Ore, her 3rd album is incredible

A woman with a wonderful soft, but sometimes soaring voice over hushed, plodding but purposeful acoustic guitar or piano or whatever, very dreamy, and fucking good.

The Strange Boys - And Girls Club

Texan folk-punk-alt. Kind of what I think the Kinks would have sounded like if they were raised as rednecks. Great album.

Selfish Cunt - English Chamber Music

Proper rock n roll, post punk grating guitars and balls out attitude. Fucking great, even better live. Very encouraging evolution from their first record

Cymbals Eat Guitars - s/t

Don't really know fuck all about this rabble, but its quite unstructured, yet very listenable dressed up indie. As in, not 3 pricks in a room with 3 instruments, theres a lot of layer and thought in this. A more experimental Arcade Fire with a more approachable singer and few members, and probably more of an attitude.

New White Denim album is also excellent, as is the latest Bat for Lashes offering, but I'm tired.

Add on some new music, thats good.

Post subject: Re: A few recent finds
PostPosted: 09/14/09 02:49:45 PM 

Grouper is very peacefull and i listen to there music when i have headaches or cant sleep at night

PostPosted: 01/17/10 01:52:58 PM 

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't checked out Bat for Lashes. Any suggestions to where I should start??

PostPosted: 01/18/10 11:56:50 AM 

I'm really feeling the group Phoenix

PostPosted: 02/04/10 12:32:54 PM 

Four Tet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_tet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eU8ZKkc ... re=related

Mad Season

From wiki: "Mad Season was an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington, in 1994 by members of three popular Seattle-based bands: Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees. Mad Season only released one album, Above, and is best known for the single "River of Deceit". The band went on a semi-permanent hiatus in 1996 due to the band members' conflicting schedules and vocalist Layne Staley's problems with substance abuse. Attempts were made in the late 1990s to revive the group without Staley, however the band dissolved following the death of bassist John Baker Saunders in 1999."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPAmydQsozU