hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/20/14 12:23:57 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mos-Def: the estatic
PostPosted: 06/21/09 07:24:59 AM 

...i just listened to it once and i have to say that this is better not be the WTF album of '09...

the production is a little weak and it borders the "must be some bullshit he had layed for shits and giggles"...$13.99 and i am not laughing...

...gotta listen to it again...

...someone give an opinion....

Post subject: Re: Mos-Def: the estatic
PostPosted: 06/23/09 12:12:26 AM 

I figured he'd redeem himself after that last album... that shit was balsamic vinaigrette...

PostPosted: 06/28/09 08:27:27 PM 

3.7 vaginas

PostPosted: 06/30/09 06:14:39 PM 

Bad VybeZ wrote:
I figured he'd redeem himself after that last album... that shit was balsamic vinaigrette...

...i listened to that shit three times...it was like a mixxed down jam session...

...should make him swallow his next movie script for this shit....staples, coversheet, and all...fucker...

PostPosted: 07/02/09 02:14:17 AM 

I only listened to "The Ecstatic" once but I'm really feeling it.

Nice production and Mos sounds hungry again.

At first listen I'd give it 4/5

PostPosted: 07/03/09 01:34:06 PM 

well its no black on both sides but its better than the last few releases.

PostPosted: 07/07/09 05:24:18 AM 

I've been trying to give this a chance and honestly, it's pretty much listen proof to me... I can't even justify listening to it enough times through to hopefully have it grow on me. But to each is own.

PostPosted: 07/13/09 01:30:10 AM 

I've only listened to it all the way through once, but I'm with Mort, a 3.5-3.75 affair

PostPosted: 08/05/09 11:59:13 PM 

He sounds hungry at least this aint superior by any stretch of the imagination but it is a solid 3/5

PostPosted: 08/11/09 05:42:55 PM 

I dig "Priority" a WHOLE lot.

but there's a lot of time wasted on this album. Its a recording....not a cd.

PostPosted: 08/16/09 10:34:38 AM 

Yall, I went to see 'em live last week. The crowd was less than impressed with most of what he performed from the latest album. It wasn't until he did the old shit that he got the people jumpin. My thing is this: Its alright to make music for yourself. But some of that music made for yourself will only be appreciated by...yourself....and should maybe be kept TO yourself. He was on stage apparently having a much better time than his audience was. I saw that to be somewhat selfish. I hate to report this about one of my favorite artists but I even heard a few boos. I think he heard it too. I heard him say "What was that for?" When someone that is a big enough fan of yours to pay money to come check you...boos you....That can't be good...and you can't say that person was just a hata....They just spent 40 dollars to come check you. Balance. Stay true to yourself but give the people what they want....as a performer.

PostPosted: 08/24/09 04:24:35 PM 

that's true word...i personally think he believes his shit is hotter than the next man's. kanye's complex is growing in him. sounds like.
i don't really have a favorite artist anymore, just cats i listen to. if i don't like it, i don't like it. period. if i wanted to go to a show...i have to seriously consider the times, too. cause alot of acts are pretty sorry at best. i still believe the Lyricist Lounge first tour was the best show anyone would like to go to.

PostPosted: 08/25/09 08:49:44 AM 

I agree with both of you... I miss the humble beast he use to be.

PostPosted: 08/26/09 12:56:44 PM 

"humble beast". Excellent choice of words. It was apparent that he couldn't have cared less what his audience wanted to hear. It was about pubbing a sub-par album. (and for the record, I thought "True Magic" was kinda dope....as it seems most did not. The Source says "the Ecstatic" was better than "True Magic".....but I STILL can't bring myself to let my disc continue past track 5. If I can't nod my head to it, I don't wanna play it more than twice.

PostPosted: 12/03/09 02:46:23 PM 

At first I was scratching my temple, taking in one of my favorite mc's new album. But after a few months of having it in my rotation I am very satisfied with Mos' latest work. It ain't Black on Both Sides, but it ain't 1999 either. Music with substance and soul. And for the people saying that music made for yourself should stay to yourself-- keep your comments to yourself then. As an artist, if I'm not happy with my work I could give a fuck if a hundred million people love it. And that's my word.

4 out of 5

PostPosted: 12/06/09 03:09:08 PM 

funnybone wrote:
At first I was scratching my temple, taking in one of my favorite mc's new album. But after a few months of having it in my rotation I am very satisfied with Mos' latest work. It ain't Black on Both Sides, but it ain't 1999 either. Music with substance and soul. And for the people saying that music made for yourself should stay to yourself-- keep your comments to yourself then. As an artist, if I'm not happy with my work I could give a fuck if a hundred million people love it. And that's my word.

4 out of 5

c'mon...really? people ain't you (the artist in any question). they want to hear music that they can relate to. Mind you some cats look for substance and others look for bullshit. But it's what you present and how you go about it that catches people attention.
Longevity is based on the evolution of style and technique while still holding on to who you are (the basics). Mos def fell short of that. He went from solid substance to a gradual drawl of mumbled artsy, abstract for the sake of being abstract what-the-fuk-. Then ask people to pay fourteen bucks for it. C'mon.
Then he pulls that snobbish shit at the show Catch went to. That's like Choclair having the nerve to be a dick after his set when a brother tried to give him his due...