hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 07/24/14 03:39:23 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And Tango Makes Three...
PostPosted: 11/18/08 03:15:20 AM 

source wkikipedia:

And Tango Makes Three is a 2005 children's book written by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson and illustrated by Henry Cole. The book is based on the true story of Roy and Silo, two male Chinstrap Penguins in New York's Central Park Zoo who for six years formed a couple. The book follows part of this time in the penguins' lives. This book aims to send the reader the message that it is okay to be in, or know someone who has, a "non-traditional" family.

Now in Great Britain they thought it would be a jolly good idea to make this compulsory reading for children age 11 to 14. (source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/reportsfromabroa ... 70330.html). They (diversity trainers... wtf??) say that it will promote diversity and stop "homophobic bullying in the playground." Also it has been pointed out that there's been "a gap in kids' books when it comes to lesbian and gay themes." This is part of the project No Outsiders, which wraps up at the end of 2008.

My thoughts: If parents are okay with their children reading books, any books, than thats fine. I think I can safely assume we were all children at some point, actually emotionally some of us have not left that stage yet. And we all know every school and every playground has bullies... that's part of educational system, thats part of growing up. Books and diversity trainers wont make them go away, because simply kids like to make fun of other kids. why? cuz thats exactly the age where they notice we are all fucking different in many ways!! The color of our skin, our eyes, the shape of our bodies, color of our hair, our ethnicity (although kids dont even know that word yet), the fact that we wear glasses, got funny names or surnames, or that we look like fucking hamsters, they notice that shit and they tear each other a new one. Why fucking dragg kids into political corectness? Cuz there's a gap in kids books?? I dont think there's a book for kids about fatties, blacks, hispanics, jews, muslims, asians, four-eyes, chemo therapy patients, kids on wheelchair to make it plain and simple how diversified we are. Ohh I bet dwarfs have it easy on them at schools since there's couple children books about them, right??

And diversity trainers? Who needs to train diversity? Why do we think that kids are some brainless sponges that need to sink everything in or they will turn to little hitlers when they grow up? That we need to teach them everything, cuz they are just too fucking stupid to figure it out on their own. There was no sex education at schools in previous centuries yet somehow our grand grand grand parents knew how to fucking do it, obviously. Diversity trainers... so what, they tell you everyone is different? wow, such an eye opener, honestly.

People need to let kids learn on their own, and figure things out on their own. And if someone has two daddies or two mommies, no that is not normal, but it may be okay! (depends on how YOU see it, not what you read at school, cuz many things schools are, they sure as hell are not wisdom fountains) Kids don't need to read books about gay pinguins, since how kids behave is mostly a reflection on how they are brought up at HOME.

Post subject: Re: And Tango Makes Three...
PostPosted: 11/20/08 01:39:22 AM 

domel wrote:
And we all know every school and every playground has bullies... that's part of educational system, thats part of growing up. Books and diversity trainers wont make them go away, because simply kids like to make fun of other kids. why? cuz thats exactly the age where they notice we are all fucking different in many ways!! The color of our skin, our eyes, the shape of our bodies, color of our hair, our ethnicity (although kids dont even know that word yet), the fact that we wear glasses, got funny names or surnames, or that we look like fucking hamsters, they notice that shit and they tear each other a new one. Why fucking dragg kids into political corectness?

Is there a story behind that?

But nah man, that's exactly it. I don't think that a lot of administrators really think about how the ideas they think are so great will actually work in a class room. I mean, if a kid thinks it's funny to make fun of gay people, he's going to make fun of gay people. Mark my words fam, the only effect of this book will be that school children all over the UK will start calling kids they suspect of being gay, Roy and Silo.

Besides, the whole idea that a kid's book is going to, all of a sudden, uproot hostilities and attitudes that are that deep is just ridiculous. I mean, fuck if you show me a book about penguins that says that homosexuality is okay, I've got a book about God that says it's a shame for a man to lay with another man. You know? Sure, it also says that it's a shame for a man to wear long hair or talk to a woman that's on her period (and how dare she be out of the house?!) but that's beside the point. What were we talking about?!

Oh yeah, school administrators often have no idea what exactly it is they're doing.

On a side note, if you want your books to change people's attitudes, then presenting homosexuality as something that someone has to be told to accept seems like kind of a weird way to go. It'd make more sense to just throw that in the reading list and see what happens. Let the kids think about it for themselves and push back if they try to come at you like there's something wrong with it. I don't know though. Maybe that's how the curriculum is structured. (I prefer to think that it's just a colossal clusterfuck and a general waste of time.) If you were to put that book in most classrooms in this country, there'd be hell to pay. We're funny that way.

Peace

PostPosted: 11/20/08 02:22:15 AM 

hahah no resemblence to hamsters on my part whatsoever... :D

PostPosted: 11/25/08 10:29:03 PM 

To quote one of my fav songs: Teachers, leave the kids alone!