hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 08/27/14 08:07:18 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/12/07 02:01:33 PM 

I am reading "One Hundred Years Of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez right now. Interesting book, it's in the magical realism style, which basically means surrealism and realism are woven into one another. Classic Southern-American literature by the way.

Before that I have been reading (throughout November and December): Laughable Loves by Milan Kundera, Frank Zappa's autobiography (something light for during the exams), The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende and some other books which I can't think of right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/12/07 04:52:30 PM 

Morgul wrote:
I am reading "One Hundred Years Of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez right now. Interesting book, it's in the magical realism style, which basically means surrealism and realism are woven into one another. Classic Southern-American literature by the way.

Before that I have been reading (throughout November and December): Laughable Loves by Milan Kundera, Frank Zappa's autobiography (something light for during the exams), The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende and some other books which I can't think of right now.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is amazing..Good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/15/07 10:05:05 AM 

Mole wrote:
Morgul wrote:

Word up, I just finished reading the book and I am impressed. Have you read any others by him? If yes, suggest me some.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna read next, I'm only sure I will be reading Jeroen Brouwers' Sunken Red (Bezonken Rood, it's a Dutch book) for school in a few weeks. Might as well read it already though.

I also forgot to mention I have read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon in December. One of the most hyped up books of recent times, and it actually holds it's own pretty good. Not a masterpiece or anything but a good read nonetheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/15/07 07:12:22 PM 

Morgul wrote:
Mole wrote:
Morgul wrote:

Word up, I just finished reading the book and I am impressed. Have you read any others by him? If yes, suggest me some.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna read next, I'm only sure I will be reading Jeroen Brouwers' Sunken Red (Bezonken Rood, it's a Dutch book) for school in a few weeks. Might as well read it already though.

I also forgot to mention I have read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon in December. One of the most hyped up books of recent times, and it actually holds it's own pretty good. Not a masterpiece or anything but a good read nonetheless.

I've read 2 Marquez books.. "Love In The Time Of Cholera" and "Of Love And Other Demons" both really good..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/16/07 04:53:13 AM 

Just finished: King of the world by David Remnick

and at the moment,I'm readin' the autobiography of Malcolm X..And yeah,it's good (:..probably better than the 'the reader' (by Bernhard Schlink) which I should have read during my Christmas holidays :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/16/07 10:12:36 AM 

CrimZen wrote:
Lewis carroll collection
this guy is great
full of rhetoric etc.
he's the one that wrote alice in wonderland

Lewis Carroll, the drug takers choice haha!

I'm just finishin Mr Nice - Howard Marks....

..then on to the big one.....

..Adolf Hitler - Mein Kampf ... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/16/07 10:24:37 AM 

marklar wrote:
CrimZen wrote:
Lewis carroll collection
this guy is great
full of rhetoric etc.
he's the one that wrote alice in wonderland

Lewis Carroll, the drug takers choice haha!

:wink:

i cant decide wat to read next, i havnt read a good book in awhile
im thinking maybe the power of one
i read the childrens version wen i was like 10 or something wich didnt finish the story, it just cut off like halfway thru :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/22/07 11:39:37 PM 

Mole wrote:
And currently I'm reading "The Basic Kafka"..Selections of Franz Kafka's short stories, diary entries, and letters...

Very nice. Kafka is a god.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01/23/07 10:21:41 AM 

I'm currently reading "The Tortilla Curtain" by T.C. Boyle for English-class. Just on page 30, but it seems to be alright. Some american had a car-accident where he seriously hurt a 30-something mexican, who lives in america illegally and gave him 20 dollars for that. So far the mexican dude is back at home and his 17-year old pregnant wife takes care of him and wants to work since he can't. She was promised a house and all that stuff by her husband, but they live very poor.
The american man and the mexican are supposed to meet again some time later, but I ain't got so far yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/01/07 09:54:29 PM 

Sidra wrote:
Mole wrote:
And currently I'm reading "The Basic Kafka"..Selections of Franz Kafka's short stories, diary entries, and letters...

Very nice. Kafka is a god.

Yeah, I liked the Basic Kafka so much I'm started on "The Castle".

After Basic Kafka, I read "No More Boss Man" by Frank Catanosa..and of course now I'm reading Kafka's "The Castle"

"No More Boss Man" is an excellent book if anybody's interested. It's historical fiction based on Samuel Doe's coup in Liberia. It was written by my boss' dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/09/07 11:50:06 PM 

I finished "The Castle" which is weird to say for an unfinished novel..

Now I'm reading "The Jack Roller: A Deliquent Boy's Own Story" by Clifford Shaw...Should be done quickly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/20/07 03:51:16 AM 

Finished "The Jack Roller", and I'm almost done with "Black Swan Green" by David Mitchell...It's pretty good...Not sure what I'll be reading next..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/21/07 04:59:55 PM 

Everybody else stop reading? I need some suggestions..

I'm half way through Clive Cussler's "Treasure Of Khan"...Before I started this book, I sort of had a bias against adventure books and Clive Cussler...So far, I'm still bias...This book sucks..It will most likely be the first and last Cussler I read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/23/07 04:05:24 AM 

I'm reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco right now. Kind of cliché to read, but a hell of a great book nonetheless.

Before that I read Sunken Red by Jeroen Brouwers, which was rather intriguing as well. Most people in my class thought it sucked though...

I'm probably gonna read Albert Camus' "L'étranger" (The Stranger) for French in the near future. I've already read one Camus play which was entertaining, so I'm looking forward to reading this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/23/07 05:23:00 AM 

Morgul wrote:
I'm reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco right now. Kind of cliché to read, but a hell of a great book nonetheless.

Before that I read Sunken Red by Jeroen Brouwers, which was rather intriguing as well. Most people in my class thought it sucked though...

I'm probably gonna read Albert Camus' "L'étranger" (The Stranger) for French in the near future. I've already read one Camus play which was entertaining, so I'm looking forward to reading this.
The Stranger is among my top five favorite books. I'm slowly reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk...it's aight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03/12/07 12:19:51 PM 

I recently read "A G-Man's Life" by Mark Felt....Dope book, had some information about the FBI not a lot of people know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03/28/07 09:40:24 AM 

Im reading

Barack Obama : The Audacity of Hope

Matt - Who the fuck are Man United?? says:
are the pistons from mexico?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03/30/07 05:34:09 PM 

"Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramhansa Yogananda...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/06/07 02:20:29 AM 

I just finished reading Orhan Pamuk's "Snow". Pamuk, a Turkish novelist, won the nobel prize for literature last year, so that already says something. I must say that prize is deserved, Pamuk really writes good. His descriptions are extremely beautiful at some points (especially the descriptions of (falling) snow, one of the main themes in the book) and the atmosphere he creates is remarkable to say the least. Only downside maybe is that the book is a bit too detailed, it's a bit tiresome to read big parts of it at once. But overall, definitely recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/11/07 04:13:52 PM 

Now reading: "The Alienist" - By Caleb Carr

'salright...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next