hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/22/14 12:48:58 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first turntable
PostPosted: 02/18/05 03:40:03 PM 

just arrived! needed some help so i dont fuck anything up....anypbdy willing to take me through the steps needed to get this shit set up? i know to plug obe part into the wall, and the rca plugs into my speakers, but what about that other wire with the metal tip at the end....is that needed? also, how do u get the reords to play where u want em to? never used a record player before, and don't wanna scratch a record up or fuck up anything....get at me please ya'll

"Fuck the Bushes and the hicks up in the woods equipped wit hoods, return of Jesus and the media, we need to take a look at kids/On the block hollow wit a glock and no cause, coulda followed, but i lead, so i need that weed tomorrow..."- Heretic Skeptic

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/18/05 03:48:07 PM 

that little metal part is called the ground wire...if whatever ur hooking it up to doesn't have a place for it...just wrap it around something metal or else it'll create an annoying buzzing sound

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/18/05 03:58:23 PM 

Abadawn wrote:
that little metal part is called the ground wire...if whatever ur hooking it up to doesn't have a place for it...just wrap it around something metal or else it'll create an annoying buzzing sound

word, good looks man.

"Fuck the Bushes and the hicks up in the woods equipped wit hoods, return of Jesus and the media, we need to take a look at kids/On the block hollow wit a glock and no cause, coulda followed, but i lead, so i need that weed tomorrow..."- Heretic Skeptic

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/18/05 05:33:29 PM 

man FUCK....already scratche dup 2 BRAND NEW albums....i need some help. the needles i have seem fine, but the handle that holds the needle seems to move and shit when the record spins. is this natural? it isnt huge moveemnts, but u can see it move and then it just sklpped on like 2 songs. one of them wont even play witoput skipping all the way thru now, and the albums were brand new. do i need a new needle? or is there something i need to get done to the handle that the needle sits in? please get at me when u can ANYBODY....i knew this was a used table, but it was sposed to be in normal condition as far as playing witout skipping... :( / :angry:

Post subject: A little more light...
PostPosted: 02/23/05 10:38:40 PM 

Yo B, you buggin' right?? I hope so!
Fo real though..I ain't dissin', your message just had me flippin' out.

To shed a little more light though, like Abadawn said, the wire with the metal tip is a ground wire and usually connects to a ground post on a mixer or receiver. And yes, it cuts out hum. Part of a concept called floating or standing electricity. The ground post is graphically depicted as a three prong fork or a line perpendicular to an upside-down striped triangle. Grounding is good, floating voltage is bad. Make sure your $#!+ is grounded. Immproperly grounded equipment will have you sounding effed up and in extreme cases hurt and/or kill you.

Now as for the unwanted movement...
Make sure you have pro\scratch cartridges and needles. BTW...not all scratch needles are created equal. Some are for mixing others are for the hardcore ish. You will problably try different brands and types before you settle on works for you.

One other peeve i have is slopply manufactured discs. The center hole should be snug on the spindle. If its loose then use tape to tighten things up. But not to tight that the record doesent spin freely on freewinding backspins.

I can get deep but i'll stop here. Hit me up though if you run into the other crazies that rear their heads along your path of turntable mastery.

Peace,
-JW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/25/05 03:32:05 AM 

word up....thx for all the info. basically, my shit was skipping because i didn't know about that knob at the base of the handle, which u can twist to raise and lower the handle itself. this added weight, and stopped the skipping. shit works fine now, but one song on one record is ruined, as are 2 on another record.... :( . all's fair tho....i'll get em again, fuck it! bumpin that Crossover by EPMD as i type! CLASSIC

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03/01/05 10:14:55 AM 

Yeah setting the correct needle height and also the Counter-weight at the back of the Turntable arm (usually a big silver and or black weight that screws in and out to adjust the tone arms rear weight. usually this is the hardest part to experiment with as sometimes the recomended manufacturers settings can be used but at times people will find that for scratching- tweaking a few of these settings heavier taller or lighter sometimes give results for scratching & back cueing -this is because the manufacturers recomendation is usually set for forward play only while spinning the record back may require a bit of adjustment so that the best setting for both forward and backward play such as scratching or back spinning will most likely be a tweak or two away from the manufacturers suggestion. Start with their suggested settings and experiment from there first. Thats a lot to chew on, best place to learn anything is from live training- find a friend who DJ's well and learn as much as you can from them, also Videos like DJ Qberts- Do it yourself Scratch courses etc they usually also cover basic set up of your rig as well and cover the needle and cartridge adjustments etc as well.

:o DJ Emir Hip Hop Music :o

Post subject: Something else to chew on.
PostPosted: 03/05/05 05:54:02 PM 

Word!!
And to throw a monkey wrench into mix... Its a lot about the touch! Meaning, you can get on the table and sound like crap but a somewhat seasoned TurnTablist can get on after you and scratch their ass off with no difficulties. I speaketh from experience. Crap had me buggin' out back then. Just relax when you're on, visualize but more importantly audialize(if there is such a word), what ever the hell you want to do on the decks...and then make that $#!+ happen.
Its easier said that done but you gotta start somewhere.
Oh yeah record your practice sessions and listen to them profusely. Its going to be painful but it helps you find yourself. Crazy stuff will start happening in the brain while you're sleeping and the next time you get back on, you'll be a lil' bit nicer. You might still be wack but you'll be nicer. Its wild the stuff you come across while on the path man.

Y'all be easy till the next...

-JW

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03/31/05 11:49:13 AM 

Heretic--thanks for posting this. I am just getting started myself..