Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - What's the longest you've been unemployed?

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 01/17/20 06:20:24 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the longest you've been unemployed?
PostPosted: 02/21/10 02:43:17 PM 

So it's been 8 months since I'm unemployed and I'm just wondering if anybody been on a longer streek? I'm glad I've saved up a little something something back when I had a job or I would be under a bridge somewhere by now. I never thought i'd say this but life gets boring without a job...

Post subject: Re: What's the longest you've been unemployed?
PostPosted: 02/21/10 03:50:18 PM 

Don't I know it. I was unemployed from Feb. 08 - June 09. Became very depressed and developed a horrible drinking problem. .... glad I got a job. Good luck, man.

PostPosted: 02/21/10 06:03:40 PM 

Ehh, I was unemployed for like.... 5 months, thats the longest I believe

PostPosted: 02/21/10 11:09:29 PM 

CARDiAC wrote:
Don't I know it. I was unemployed from Feb. 08 - June 09. Became very depressed and developed a horrible drinking problem. .... glad I got a job. Good luck, man.

word! I drink pretty much everyday now. Usually it's just beer but trice a week I'll have vodka. I don't see it as a problem yet, but wouldn't I be the last one to notice?

PostPosted: 02/21/10 11:43:23 PM 

Notice? Probably not. Care? Most likely. It's a process, man. What I suggest is: get involved in something that gets you out of the house regularly. Doesn't have to take all day, just something that requires you to get the fuck up and presentable during normal hours.

PostPosted: 02/22/10 09:54:41 AM 

I've been unemployed for almost ten months now and I just now got over my drinking problem. I lost my crib, car, and some other things... thank God for family. But when my tax return comes I'll be straight... and I got a job lined up when I get my Ls back so I can commute.

http://www.myspace.com/lionelsavant
http://www.soundclick.com/lionl
Http://www.soundcloud.com/rnivins8880

PostPosted: 02/22/10 11:11:22 AM 

Longest i been with no J O B was back in 1998 - I was out for at least 4 months, mainly cos I was lazy to get up and get a job. My excuse was that I wanted to see the World Cup. So yeah - when June came I saw nearly every game in the tournament.

Domel sorry it's been so long man. I hope something turns up for you soon brother.

PostPosted: 02/22/10 12:45:31 PM 

2months.

I'd go crazy without a job, been working more or less since I was 12, first steady job at 16.
When I was between jobs, I'd temp, work my ass off and then be offered a job at that place.

I don't know what the jobmarket is like there, but here it's tough depending on your standards I guess.

Maybe you could do some temping or get work doing something else and do some free legalwork for experience?

I hope you get out of your current situation soon though, please get your ass up in the morning and do something constructive.

One things for sure, alcohol won't get you a job, it's a lousy ass friend.

peace

PostPosted: 02/23/10 01:31:15 AM 

thanks yall!

The thing is, I am active. I get up in the morning, hit the gym because my friend owns one so I don't need no gym pass. I send dozens of CVs everyday, I follow local newspapers' job sections. The thing is I'm way past working for free. Free legal advice, even though I know where you coming from 2tall, that was good during uni years, but hell just last year an hour of my time was worth 45 Euro. I know I might eventually have to do it for free (again) but that would be a huge step back for me. I'll probably give it another 2 weeks and if I'm still jobless after that I'll search for luck somewhere else.

As far as drinking, I do it in the evening out of boredom. Vodka is cheaper then movie tickets, so... :D

PostPosted: 02/23/10 05:14:32 PM 

Sounds like you might be slowly evolving to a functioning alcoholic, I hope you can break this pattern before it's a habit.
Had a friend who had one beer/unit of alcohol every day when he was working in Shanghai.
Ended up in a hospital, alcohol does no wonders for your immune system.

shh I sound like my dad now...

PostPosted: 02/24/10 01:39:48 AM 

domel wrote:
Vodka is cheaper then movie tickets, so... :D

but that sounds dumb...? there sure is other things in ur area u can enjoy for free or lil money. like some SAFE pussy or a book, or an event or something around a subject area u are interested in

PostPosted: 02/24/10 01:43:24 AM 

2tall wrote:
Sounds like you might be slowly evolving to a functioning alcoholic, I hope you can break this pattern before it's a habit.
Had a friend who had one beer/unit of alcohol every day when he was working in Shanghai.
Ended up in a hospital, alcohol does no wonders for your immune system.

shh I sound like my dad now...

someone gotta do it. i just didn't feel like bringing up pathetic lullabies from my book.

:comfort: good job

PostPosted: 02/24/10 12:39:50 PM 

Seven months for me. It was so garbage. And yeah, the drinking got kind of out of hand. I'm underemployed now so my it's a little more reasonable. I blame Alan Greenspan.

PostPosted: 02/24/10 11:39:20 PM 

9 beautiful months! I hope no one takes offense because I'm not trying to make light of anybody's situation but I hadn't been without a job since my early years of high school and then while unemployed, I experienced freedom like I had never had before. I had money saved and with the unemployment checks coming in, i took trips, i went to movies, i went record shopping everyday, I spent a lot of time reading and actually went back to school.

PostPosted: 03/01/10 07:45:32 PM 

7 months was the longest I've gone. I stayed busy with making music for most of that time. Saving definitely paid off cuz if I hadn't saved my money like I had before that unemployment time I would've fell in with the wrong kats. Stayed away from that drink with a passion cuz I had recently lost someone close to it, but smoking Blacks and Swishers (and the occasional blunt) became a ridiculous habit. Got into a tech school on local scholarship about 4 months after leaving the previous job, so from there my time was occupied with school. After the 7th month, countless applications and unemployment lines, I ended up getting a part-time job bagging groceries 'til I graduated and got the job I hold now off the degree.

MarlonJackson wrote:
9 beautiful months! I hope no one takes offense because I'm not trying to make light of anybody's situation but I hadn't been without a job since my early years of high school and then while unemployed, I experienced freedom like I had never had before. I had money saved and with the unemployment checks coming in, i took trips, i went to movies, i went record shopping everyday, I spent a lot of time reading and actually went back to school.

My brother's practically in this same situation. He got laid-off so he's getting unemployment checks that's definitely exceeding his rent (he has a roomate) and doesn't have to commute to work (gas money) so he's able to just chill and let it stack. Has "traveled" 3 times since the lay-off (once to Vegas). But outside of that he's been bored and got some schooling lined-up soon off the G.I. Bill. Trying to be a chef 'n shit since he got to perfect some skills with all his free time. He had me hatin' on him for a minute like, "I'm grinding hard as hell right now and you getting more vacations than me, bruh! You what? You got how many new games today? Shit! I'll get at you later man, bye!"

PostPosted: 03/02/10 12:27:43 AM 

MarlonJackson wrote:

i'm currently in the middle of a streak myself, currently at 6 months.......recently finished school, got some bread stacked.......and i wish i never had to go back to work, but i'll be back working by summertime, trying to just take some time and formulate a plan for the future, luckily i haven't developed a drinking problem yet, but i do find myself smoking entirely too much because it is an effective way to kill the time

PostPosted: 03/05/10 08:20:36 PM 

killing time is murdering opportunity, ghost.

PostPosted: 03/06/10 12:10:19 AM 

almost a whole year but i did sum otha shit on the side

PostPosted: 03/06/10 02:13:55 AM 

its been 2months now and still going. my woman is till by my side and all them weekend gals have left me..ha ha ha i guess money talks