Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - The Dream-Love Me All Summer, Hate Me All Winter

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/17/17 12:30:04 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Dream-Love Me All Summer, Hate Me All Winter
PostPosted: 03/02/08 06:32:53 PM 

1. Shawty Is The Shit----great way to kick off this album, a simplistic rhythm, but the lyrics and refrain are tough not to sing along with after awhile, this one's been getting burn over here since the end of August 5/5

2. I Love Your Girl---probably the best song on the album, a catchy snap style beat and a hilarious story of stealing someone's girlfriend and openly mocking them after, another song that will get stuck in your head inevitably 5/5

3. Fast Car---this one has more of an 80's feeling to it, it almost sounds like something that would play in the montage scenes of a John Hughes movie.....the whole song is yet another r&b song that compares women to cars, but builds to the hook very well and is also very catchy, it's just as good as the first two songs 5/5

4. Nikki---a slow burning, bass heavy song that lays out the story for this song and the next one after it......The Dream tells the story of a new woman named Nikki who has made him forget all about his old love interest......it comes across like a mix of something Usher or Justin Timberlake would do, the production is fantasic 5/5

5. She Needs My Love---this is the song that finishes the progression, as it fades in from the "Nikki" track, keeping only a Timbaland-esque bass line, building into yet another refrain that will worm its way into your subconscious 5/5

6. Falsetto---another song that people should have already heard....The Dream intended for this to be a progression from "Shawty Is The Shit".....he delivers the beginning lyrics with more of a rapping style, and then builds into the more romantic portion of the song, it does a good job of using hip-hop elements in quality r&b 5/5

7. Playin' In Her Hair---a very light, breezy rhythm, something you would listen to in the summertime, this is when the album becomes more obviously a Prince homage, which isn't necessarily a bad thing......another simplistic refrain that serves the song well 5/5

8. Purple Kisses---the album's most obvious Prince giveaway, it even features an anonymous talking female at the beginning, it sounds like a distant cousin to 'Bed' by J. Holiday, which The Dream also wrote and produced......the lyrics are also in the vein of Prince 5/5

9. Ditch That----The Dream completely ditches his momentum and makes a very hip-hop track, which he begins by referencing his contribution to Rihanna's "Umbrella"......the beat is reminiscent of something Meth & Red would have used, and it's out of place after the last 3 tracks, it feels like it should be further towards the end of the album 4/5

10. Love Songs---one of the slower and sappier songs on the album, The Dream compares him and his lady's lovemaking to making actual love songs over another slow, bottom heavy track, other than the repetitive 808 chant, it's just as good as the first 8 songs 4.5/5

11. Livin' A Lie f/ Rihanna---a fast paced duet that seems like it was made to be all over Top 40 radio, i can already smell a splitscreen video and the whole nine yards......it's not as good as the rest of the album for the simple fact that Rihanna has no business being on the track, he could have used Keri Hilson just as easily or someone like her, it's one of those songs that sounds like it should have been made for someone else 3/5

12. Mama---the requisite album ending somber song about mom.....it uses a very cliche sounding rhythm and The Dream sings most of the song using the T-Pain vocoder box, a very lackluster ending to the album, but not an entirely worthless song 2/5

Rating=9/10

If this album could have sustained the momentum it builds up through the first 8, or even 10, tracks, it would go down as classic, but otherwise, it's easily one of the best R&B albums to come out in '07.......definitely worth a look, especially if you don't mind some hip-hop elements mixed with your R&B

Post subject: Re: The Dream-Love Me All Summer, Hate Me All Winter
PostPosted: 03/03/08 09:51:08 PM 

Bro, no...

PostPosted: 03/04/08 12:23:06 AM 

Hahahaha...I haven't heard nothing off this album, I just liked Marlon's response.

PostPosted: 03/04/08 01:34:26 PM 

Marlon's just a bitter old man

PostPosted: 03/04/08 03:51:51 PM 

white people don't know r&b. stick to eating expensive sandwiches and threating to move back to canada, jeffery.

PostPosted: 03/04/08 04:05:15 PM 

fuck your racial generalizations, i happen to know r&b quite well.........have you listened to the album?

PostPosted: 03/04/08 04:21:47 PM 

Ghost Rida wrote:
fuck your racial generalizations, i happen to know r&b quite well.........have you listened to the album?

no but the 2 singles i have heard, you gave them 5s. that tells me all i need to know..

PostPosted: 03/04/08 05:39:07 PM 

whatever you say

PostPosted: 03/05/08 08:19:08 AM 

Fuck winter, I'll hate him all year around

PostPosted: 05/24/08 09:11:07 PM 

Mr.Morten wrote:
Fuck winter, I'll hate him all year around

lmfao. shit i'm not as strict on such shit like this like marlon but i have to agree with him on this one....the first two tracks were ok everything else sucks.

I am the poet Laureate of the fucking Trauma ward! I am the chocolate flake of death impaling the cluster nut sundae of your fucking existence! who am i? The Ice hearted pistolero from the murderverse, with chalk outline around my soul!

PostPosted: 05/24/08 10:56:48 PM 

what do you mean by strict? you trying to say i'm not open minded when it comes to music? are you really trying to go there?

PostPosted: 05/25/08 09:30:44 AM 

MarlonJackson wrote:
what do you mean by strict? you trying to say i'm not open minded when it comes to music? are you really trying to go there?

go there? ITS THE FUCKING TRUTH....you're one the most intolerable dudes ever...you only listen to the shit you like and hate shit a lot of shit without even giving it a chance.

the most open minded person when it comes to music on this site is Bob.

I am the poet Laureate of the fucking Trauma ward! I am the chocolate flake of death impaling the cluster nut sundae of your fucking existence! who am i? The Ice hearted pistolero from the murderverse, with chalk outline around my soul!

PostPosted: 05/25/08 09:32:38 AM 

d_realword wrote:
MarlonJackson wrote:

go there? ITS THE FUCKING TRUTH....you're one the most intolerable dudes ever...you only listen to the shit you like and hate shit a lot of shit without even giving it a chance.

you've really lost it this time..

PostPosted: 05/25/08 11:01:43 AM 

MarlonJackson wrote:
d_realword wrote:
MarlonJackson wrote:

PostPosted: 05/25/08 12:05:56 PM 

I like the album.

PostPosted: 05/25/08 04:51:21 PM 

Mr.Morten wrote:
MarlonJackson wrote:
d_realword wrote:
MarlonJackson wrote:

i'm right.

drop some names of people that are open minded when it comes to music in general? heres my list.

Bob/dij
realword
Marklar
Rich Deluxe

just to name a few.

PostPosted: 05/25/08 06:39:38 PM 

those guys, MZA, Eldritch, Flawless, Ghost Rida, Morgul, Scooby, Big Doug..

PostPosted: 05/25/08 08:14:45 PM 

MarlonJackson wrote:
those guys, MZA, Eldritch, Flawless, Ghost Rida, Morgul, Scooby, Big Doug..

i would put everyone apart from Morgul cos i'm not so sure about his tastes.

PostPosted: 05/26/08 12:32:54 AM 

Darion

PostPosted: 06/11/08 03:46:32 PM 

i can vouch for Marlon, though...watch out for our Grocery Store Hits Soundtrack

anywho, there's only 4 good songs on this album, with I Luv Ur Girl being the best track (the remix is pretty cool)