hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 07/23/14 11:13:14 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elzhi - The Preface
PostPosted: 09/03/08 01:13:19 AM 

You don't hear many albums anymore that leave lasting impressions on your eardrums nowadays. Its nothing new, but when new material comes out from an artist not that well known, with a slight buzz it usually falls on deaf ears, and gets slept on. This is not an album to sleep on in the slightest. This is a true gem, and begs the question is Detroit the new home of hip hop. With the likes of Guilty Simpson, Phat Kat, Frank N Dank, Black Milk, & the greatest that ever did it Dilla Dog, The D got the game in a headlock. Elzhi is one of craftiest, wittiest, insanely lyrical niggas in the game right now, and he proves it on this album.

Intro (The Preface) 4/5
Standard intro with Elzhi spittin a couple lines, to a smoothed out beat
The Leak (feat. Ayah) 4/5
Nice start off to the album. Ayah shines on the hook, gives a complete sound to the track. Elzhi just goes in
Guessing Game 5/5
Mad creative track right here. Elzhi gives yall dudes somethin to do while you listenin to the track. He splits a double-syllable, and you fill in the blank while he pauses between syllables. "I keep a chick loss for words so she hop all on my dic......tionary. I don't be giving a fuck. This line goes out to each and every critic that thought I would suc.......ceed." Black's snares are stupid on this track
Motown 25 (feat. Royce Da 5′9″) 5/5
Elzhi & Royce over a heavy drum laced Black Milk track, nothing else needs to be said. to many quotables. one of the best tracks on the album.
Brag Swag 4/5
The only thing that is cool about this track is Elzhi's in depth lyrical ability. The scratching on the track is a lil weak, but all in all its still a decent track.
Colors 4/5
Another concept record, similar to GZA's "Labels". Elzhi just seemlessly throws colors around in each line.
Fire Rmx 5/5
(feat. Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, Fatt Father, Danny Brown, Fat Ray)
Detroit's finest gets to shine on this crew track. Everybody comes sharp, but im heavily impressed with this cat Fat Ray. He eats up every Black Milk track, but Elzhi makes sure no nigga outshines him on his own shit.
D.E.M.O.N.S. 5/5
Once again Elzhi displays intricate concepts with using acronyms. "a demon could mean destroying every man off narcotics/ drug epidemics measure obsession needles/ got dealers earning money over night/ deceitful elections monitor our nation" Its broken down like puree for an old lady with no teeth. Socail commentary on wax
Save Ya (feat. T3) 5/5
T3 is on production on this one, and it sounds so lovely. Smooth laid back feel good sound. Elzhi speaks on self accountability, folks need to save them self from they own shit.
Yeah (feat. Phat Kat) 5/5
Classic Black Milk material, Phat Kat rapes the track with out protection. Elzhi skeets on its face. "To feed a click, I'm even sweeter when the beat is sick/ Dick long as that centimeter stick
Chicks feel it in their stomach like it's a fetus/
when they feet is kicked" Ridiculous.

Transitional Joint 4/5
This is that track that we can all relate to, when we fall for that broad, and catch feelings. Elzhi displays a more personal side on this record.
Talking In My Sleep 5/5
Lyrical exhibition, no other way to explain it. Elzhi recalls a dream, and spills out imagery vividly. The beat and lyrics go together perfect.
The Science (Feat. Fes Roc) 4/5
DJ Dez on production. This joint sounds kind of out of place from the rest of production on the album. The sound is more rugged, with a grimy feel to it. El & Fes speaking on that chase for the doe.
Hands Up 04:14 3.5/5
The weakest track on the album. I can't see Elzhi robbing a liquor store, its all about story telling on this track. Its not glorifying anyhting, but its out of place.
What I Write 4/5
Head banger beat. Nothing special, just a solid hip hop track about writing rhymes
Growing Up (feat. A.B.)4.5/5
Personal track on his life. Its inspirational, and displays Elzhi's range as an emcee. He can take you wherever you want to go lyrically. The hook is on some R&B shit, but it works well with the production. Real nice track.

Overall, the album is solid. As of right now I can honestly say its one of the best albums of the year. Elzhi has confirmed he can hold a solo album on his own. He's a slept on artist but rudely awoke and then killed them on this one.

4.5/5

Post subject: Re: Elzhi - The Preface
PostPosted: 09/03/08 06:54:28 PM 

shit i will have to give this a peep and if royce is on the album i'll probly end up buying it

PostPosted: 10/03/08 05:25:36 AM 

too many people slept on this album.

I am the poet Laureate of the fucking Trauma ward! I am the chocolate flake of death impaling the cluster nut sundae of your fucking existence! who am i? The Ice hearted pistolero from the murderverse, with chalk outline around my soul!

PostPosted: 11/09/08 05:29:43 PM 

classic

http://www.myspace.com/lionelsavant
http://www.soundclick.com/lionl
Http://www.soundcloud.com/rnivins8880

PostPosted: 01/06/09 01:23:37 AM 

Any album with a chorus that says "Yeah, nigga!" is a banger to me.

PostPosted: 01/06/09 02:46:46 AM 

Great album and great review

Detroit is on a roll right now (could the new Em album be good as well....?)

PostPosted: 04/22/09 05:03:20 AM 

This album hasn't left rotation

This shit is amazing

PostPosted: 04/26/09 11:25:12 PM 

Man, this shit so sick!

I let my homeboy borrow it. Gon' just let him keep it and go cop another. Demons is wild

PostPosted: 11/04/09 01:15:51 PM 

I finally picked this up today and i cant wait for his next release

This album is a must have for any hip hop head

These are my fav tracks, but the whole album is fire

Leak, Motown 25, Colors, D.E.M.O.N.S, Transitional Joint, The Science, What I Write, Growing Up

Lyrics and production are on point the whole way through

4.5/5

PostPosted: 11/11/09 06:26:43 AM 

this album ain't slept on...if i can't find it...fucking best buy and their rap is T.I./T.I. is rap section... :angry: