Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - Gone baby gone

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 06/19/18 05:02:39 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 01/07/08 08:09:27 AM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05/21/04 12:37:53 PM
Posts: 6996
This movie stars two of my favorite actors (Morgan Freeman and Ed Harris), but it didn't have that "must see" feel to it. I still went though. Here's what I thought of it:

The acting was thorough, the story catching, the directing (Ben Affleck's debut) not at all bad, but somehow it missed that certain something that makes me love certain movies. It just didn't leave much of an impression and that struck me as odd, considering the cast.

The story is simple: a little girl is kidnapped. Her coke-addict mom becomes the centre of a big media circus, as do the child's (former alcoholic) uncle and his concervative wife, who all live in the same house. A police captain (Freeman) who has experenced the loss of his own child years earlier, puts all his energy in this case to solve it. Not only the police is involved in this investigation though. There's a young detective (Affleck's brother) and his wife, who also try to get to the bottom of this case. They were hired by the conservative aunt, with the idea that certain people might be quicker to talk to locals instead of the police. She was right.

This movie really is all about contrasts: Police vs. detectives, experienced cops vs. the young and often naive couple, the outside world vs. the small world of locals on the block, ... That bigamy makes it interesting to watch, since different angles are being expored over and over again.

There is one element in this story that keeps everything together though: the little girl. Everything evolves around her. Or does it? As often with (Hollywood) films, nothing is what it seems. As the story unfolds, things become clearer. By means of flashbacks, shot from different angles as before, the viewer - along with the young detective couple- starts to understand what is really going on. The result: a roller coaster ride of action, emotion and surprise... I won´t go into the story any further not to give anything away, but all in all it was quite entertaining.

And still, this film left me puzzled. I wasn't swept away by the story, even though the acting was great, the plot surprised me (a bit) and there was enough action to keep me interested, but not too much to ruin the story, ... What then was I missing? Up till now I have no idea. I guess it was a combination of factors, I can't really put my finger on.

Even though I didn´t get that "wow" sensation, I´m still agreeing with the good people of imdb.com and I´m giving this film a 4/5, simply because of the acting. Freeman and Harris did what they do best, but also the other actors impressed me. The fact that I didn´t really feel the story doesn´t mean all that much. I jhad the same problem with Mystic River, the first time I saw it. Later on, that changed, so maybe this time it'll be the same.


peace

CllBll

_________________
Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 01/07/08 10:32:33 AM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 12/15/04 01:35:11 PM
Posts: 2298
Location: LONDON
Wasn't this the movie that was banned in the UK?! Because it was too similar to the story of that little girl Madeleine that was kidnapped or something......I guess I will have to wait for the DVD release....shame because I thought the movie looked decent!

:(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 01/07/08 12:15:38 PM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05/21/04 12:37:53 PM
Posts: 6996
TRICKSTAR wrote:
Wasn't this the movie that was banned in the UK?! Because it was too similar to the story of that little girl Madeleine that was kidnapped or something......I guess I will have to wait for the DVD release....shame because I thought the movie looked decent!

:(


yeah I read about that in the paper about 2 months ago

_________________
Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 01/07/08 03:15:16 PM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 10/17/01 05:00:00 PM
Posts: 18095
Location: Albq, NM
i saw the previews and it looked pretty gay. one affleck is bad enough but two afflecks? no thanks.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 09/13/08 10:30:34 PM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02/09/03 03:27:15 AM
Posts: 19269
Location: england
after seeing this....i think Ben Affleck should leave all the acting to his brother...and fuck what you heard Ben does a great job as the director. some of the shots in this are really asthetically pleasing....and also keep in tone with the themes of the plot. The Story itself is a constant struggle for balance of what is right and what is wrong and does the means always justify the ends? the characters don't feel forced (okay maybe Ed Harris but fucker plays the same role in every film) but all the characters seem to really believe in what their doing and everyone thinks their doing whats right.

my only problem was that in the end...it felt like there was one too many twists. Ben Affleck may have been trying to show that he has what he takes to handle a complex story arc and even though it works out ok in the end i felt it made the film seem like it was dragging on towards the end.

as for chill bill...what might have been missing was the fact that it wasnt really a mystery film in a sense but more a movie that explores various people that are involved in a mystery...if that makes any sense. What i'm trying to say is that the mystery seems like a backdrop of the point of the film...its more about the people and how this girl missing affects them all.
Another thing that might have been missing is that there is no real bad character...everyone does what they do in an almost justifable way (well at least to them) and its more asking the question who are you to judge someone else when what you're doing might not even be the right thing.



maybe i read too much into films but i really enjoyed this film and people should stop sleeping on it because of the two Afflecks involved. They both do great jobs.

p.s if Clint Eastwood had directewd this same film people would be yelling for oscars or some awards...not that the film is perfect it has some flaws but it is still a bloody good film that I would compare to Mystic River.

_________________
I am the poet Laureate of the fucking Trauma ward! I am the chocolate flake of death impaling the cluster nut sundae of your fucking existence! who am i? The Ice hearted pistolero from the murderverse, with chalk outline around my soul!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 09/19/08 03:33:01 PM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02/09/03 03:27:15 AM
Posts: 19269
Location: england
E l d r ¿ t c h wrote:
2/5


fuck no.

_________________
I am the poet Laureate of the fucking Trauma ward! I am the chocolate flake of death impaling the cluster nut sundae of your fucking existence! who am i? The Ice hearted pistolero from the murderverse, with chalk outline around my soul!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 09/20/08 10:24:16 AM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 05/21/04 12:37:53 PM
Posts: 6996
d_realword wrote:
after seeing this....i think Ben Affleck should leave all the acting to his brother...and fuck what you heard Ben does a great job as the director. some of the shots in this are really asthetically pleasing....and also keep in tone with the themes of the plot. The Story itself is a constant struggle for balance of what is right and what is wrong and does the means always justify the ends? the characters don't feel forced (okay maybe Ed Harris but fucker plays the same role in every film) but all the characters seem to really believe in what their doing and everyone thinks their doing whats right.

my only problem was that in the end...it felt like there was one too many twists. Ben Affleck may have been trying to show that he has what he takes to handle a complex story arc and even though it works out ok in the end i felt it made the film seem like it was dragging on towards the end.

as for chill bill...what might have been missing was the fact that it wasnt really a mystery film in a sense but more a movie that explores various people that are involved in a mystery...if that makes any sense. What i'm trying to say is that the mystery seems like a backdrop of the point of the film...its more about the people and how this girl missing affects them all.
Another thing that might have been missing is that there is no real bad character...everyone does what they do in an almost justifable way (well at least to them) and its more asking the question who are you to judge someone else when what you're doing might not even be the right thing.



maybe i read too much into films but i really enjoyed this film and people should stop sleeping on it because of the two Afflecks involved. They both do great jobs.

p.s if Clint Eastwood had directewd this same film people would be yelling for oscars or some awards...not that the film is perfect it has some flaws but it is still a bloody good film that I would compare to Mystic River.


I had a similar thought when I saw Signs again yesterday. It's not about aliens at all; it's about people.

And I love Clint Eastwood as a director. No homo.

_________________
Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 09/30/08 01:07:50 AM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09/29/08 12:14:24 PM
Posts: 9
d_realword wrote:
p.s if Clint Eastwood had directewd this same film people would be yelling for oscars or some awards...not that the film is perfect it has some flaws but it is still a bloody good film that I would compare to Mystic River.


Clint Eastwood DID direct the same film...it was called Mystic River. I am sick of all the Boston tales Affleck, Matt Damon, and Kevin Bacon do every 2 or 3 years.

The movie wasn't gritty enough. I thought the photography was there, but the acting wasn't. Everybody looked the part, but no one had the chops to deliver. Freeman was too clean cut and out of place in the film. The only guy who was convincing was the Haitian gangster.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gone baby gone
PostPosted: 10/04/08 03:55:58 PM 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02/09/03 03:27:15 AM
Posts: 19269
Location: england
Dwayne G wrote:
d_realword wrote:
p.s if Clint Eastwood had directewd this same film people would be yelling for oscars or some awards...not that the film is perfect it has some flaws but it is still a bloody good film that I would compare to Mystic River.


Clint Eastwood DID direct the same film...it was called Mystic River. I am sick of all the Boston tales Affleck, Matt Damon, and Kevin Bacon do every 2 or 3 years.

The movie wasn't gritty enough. I thought the photography was there, but the acting wasn't. Everybody looked the part, but no one had the chops to deliver. Freeman was too clean cut and out of place in the film. The only guy who was convincing was the Haitian gangster.


the reason why they are very similiar is because they are based of stories by the same writer whose books have very similar themes. I can understand what you mean when you say the film doesnt have that grittiness, it had a more relaxed feel and pace to it but for me...it added more to the story and moral of the story. But come on now, you wannna tell me the part with those child molesters wasnt fucking gritty?

well as usual i like a film more than most people don't.

Just like how i liked the first Hulk.

_________________
I am the poet Laureate of the fucking Trauma ward! I am the chocolate flake of death impaling the cluster nut sundae of your fucking existence! who am i? The Ice hearted pistolero from the murderverse, with chalk outline around my soul!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group