hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/21/14 06:19:45 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stone Roses
PostPosted: 08/12/04 09:32:26 AM 

With float-away vocals and snap, crackle, pop! guitars - later augmented with shuffling beats picked up from the rave scene in their Manchester hometown - the Stone Roses rocked the U.K. indie pop world. After a bitter contract battle and a long-delayed second album, the Stone Roses turned to dust, leaving behind a pile of unforgettable singles and laying the inspirational groundwork for Oasis, among others.

Individually, the Stone Roses were pretty-boy vocalist Ian Brown (b. February 20, 1963), guitar hero John Squire (b. November 24, 1962), bassist Reni (b. Alan Wren on April 10, 1964) and drummer Mani (b. Gary Mountfield on November 16, 1962). They got together in 1985 and - with John Leckie producing - released their self-titled first album in '89. "I Wanna Be Adored" and "She Bangs The Drums" were small, shimmering masterstrokes. "Elephant Stone" - produced by New Order bassist Peter Hook - and the 10-minute funk workout "Fool's Gold" brought the crucial dance element to an English indie pop scene where the resolutely anti-disco Morrissey had previously reigned supreme. (All these tracks would eventually wind up on the group's first U.S. album.) At the peak of their British success - the group had yet to play in America - things turned tragic/comic. Getting out of their original Silvertone contract cost them valuable time and money, even if Geffen was willing to pony up millions for their future rights.

By the time the Stone Roses actually got their next album (1995's Second Coming) into the stores, much had changed. For one thing, Squire had developed a severe Jimmy Page fetish - witness the 11-minute firestorm ("Breaking Into Heaven") that opens the record - and aside from "Ten Storey Lovesong," the Stone Roses' pop got crushed under the weight of all that classic rock. When the record failed to connect in either England or America, a stream of personnel changes shattered the group. Meanwhile, Squire resurfaced with a new band, the Seahorses.

Check out some of these songs by the Roses & Ian Brown dolo

‘I Wanna Be Adored’
‘Sally Cinnamon’
‘Song For My (Sugar Spun Sister)’
‘Waterfall’
‘Mersey Paradise'
‘Made Of Stone’
‘She Bangs The Drums’
’Where Angels Play’
‘Elizabeth My Dear’
’I Am The Resurrection’
‘Fools Gold’
‘My Star’
’If Dolphins Were Monkeys’
’Golden Gaze’
‘F.E.A.R.’
’Time Is My Everything’

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08/13/04 03:32:52 AM 

i wanna be adored is a classic. stone roses is a great band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08/13/04 08:14:35 AM 

Manchester (Madchester) what a great scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08/19/04 09:43:58 PM 

second only to surfer rosa as the best album of the 80s...or maybe third hmm :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08/21/04 12:36:03 PM 

doctor sperm wrote:
second only to surfer rosa as the best album of the 80s...or maybe third hmm :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08/23/04 06:10:12 PM 

^yes that and murmur came to mind...and paul's botique

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08/23/04 09:20:31 PM 

doctor sperm wrote:
^yes that and murmur came to mind...and paul's botique

well if you're gonna open it up to Hip Hop then how about It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back? Not to mention Talking Head's Remain in Light, MJ's Thriller, & a whole slew of Prince records

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08/24/04 10:24:55 PM 

purple rain for sure,but not a whole slew of prince records...1999 is the only other prince album that's close.i don't think prince puts out real solid albums.cept for purple rain they're all spotty.anyways definately it takes a nation of millions...