Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/73/13971573/html/bb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 821: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4209: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4211: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4212: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4213: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
hiphop-elements.com • View topic - The Darfur Conflict.

hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 01/23/20 05:26:20 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Darfur Conflict.
PostPosted: 11/29/06 04:02:25 PM 

Aight people... This is my semester assignment for my english class (intensive course). Each week I have to give my teacher a paper on whatever happened in Darfur (I chose the topic).
So... Since it's some interesting shit no one knows about, I will just post my paper here as well.

Starting today with the "Quick guide" on the bbc homepage, to introduce you people to the topic.
Oh yeah, you can discuss of course.

Quick guide: Darfur

Darfur is a semi-arid western province of Sudan - Africa's largest country. Darfur alone is the size of France.

In an Arab-dominated country, Darfur's population is mostly black African.
For years, there have been tensions between the mostly African farmers and the mostly Arab herders, who have competed for land.
Opposition groups in Darfur say the government neglects their province, and discriminates against black Africans.

Conflict

The conflict began in 2003, when rebel groups began attacking government targets.
In retaliation, the government launched a military and police campaign in Darfur.
More than 2m people fled their homes.
Many spoke of government aircraft bombing villages, after which the Arab Janjaweed militia would ride in on camels and horses to slaughter, rape and steal.
The refugees and some western observers said there was a deliberate attempt to drive black Africans out of Darfur.
The government admits mobilising "self-defence militias", but denies links to the Janjaweed and says the problems have been exaggerated.

Refugees

Those who fled the violence are now living in camps across Darfur. About 200,000 refugees have crossed the border into Chad.
Those living in camps now depend on food aid from international donors.
Aid agencies have repeatedly warned that continuing violence is making it difficult, or impossible, for them to provide the displaced people with the help they need.

Peace deal

Attempts by the African Union (AU) - a grouping of African states - to end the conflict resulted in a peace deal being signed in 2006.
The Sudanese government backed the deal, but only one rebel faction - Minni Minawi's faction of the Sudan Liberation Army - signed up.
As part of the deal, the government agreed to disarm the Janjaweed, but there is little to suggest that this has happened.
At the same time, Minni Minawi's men now seem to be fighting on the side of the government against the other rebel groups.
All this means that violence has actually increased since the peace deal was signed.

Peacekeepers

The AU has sent 7,000 soldiers to try to monitor a ceasefire.
The Sudanese government agreed to allow this force to operate.
But this relatively small force has not managed to end the violence.
Britain and the US have been pushing for the United Nations to take over the peacekeeping mission and the AU is happy to stand aside.
Sudan, however, says it will not allow a UN force on its territory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11/29/06 04:23:25 PM 

Check on Jan Pronk, works for the UN as Special representative for Sudan and was demanded to leave the country.

Post subject: Re: The Darfur Conflict.
PostPosted: 11/29/06 06:43:56 PM 

Serra wrote:
Aight people... This is my semester assignment for my english class (intensive course). Each week I have to give my teacher a paper on whatever happened in Darfur (I chose the topic).
So... Since it's some interesting shit no one knows about, I will just post my paper here as well.

Starting today with the "Quick guide" on the bbc homepage, to introduce you people to the topic.
Oh yeah, you can discuss of course.

Quick guide: Darfur

Darfur is a semi-arid western province of Sudan - Africa's largest country. Darfur alone is the size of France.

In an Arab-dominated country, Darfur's population is mostly black African.
For years, there have been tensions between the mostly African farmers and the mostly Arab herders, who have competed for land.
Opposition groups in Darfur say the government neglects their province, and discriminates against black Africans.

Conflict

The conflict began in 2003, when rebel groups began attacking government targets.
In retaliation, the government launched a military and police campaign in Darfur.
More than 2m people fled their homes.
Many spoke of government aircraft bombing villages, after which the Arab Janjaweed militia would ride in on camels and horses to slaughter, rape and steal.
The refugees and some western observers said there was a deliberate attempt to drive black Africans out of Darfur.
The government admits mobilising "self-defence militias", but denies links to the Janjaweed and says the problems have been exaggerated.

Refugees

Those who fled the violence are now living in camps across Darfur. About 200,000 refugees have crossed the border into Chad.
Those living in camps now depend on food aid from international donors.
Aid agencies have repeatedly warned that continuing violence is making it difficult, or impossible, for them to provide the displaced people with the help they need.

Peace deal

Attempts by the African Union (AU) - a grouping of African states - to end the conflict resulted in a peace deal being signed in 2006.
The Sudanese government backed the deal, but only one rebel faction - Minni Minawi's faction of the Sudan Liberation Army - signed up.
As part of the deal, the government agreed to disarm the Janjaweed, but there is little to suggest that this has happened.
At the same time, Minni Minawi's men now seem to be fighting on the side of the government against the other rebel groups.
All this means that violence has actually increased since the peace deal was signed.

Peacekeepers

The AU has sent 7,000 soldiers to try to monitor a ceasefire.
The Sudanese government agreed to allow this force to operate.
But this relatively small force has not managed to end the violence.
Britain and the US have been pushing for the United Nations to take over the peacekeeping mission and the AU is happy to stand aside.
Sudan, however, says it will not allow a UN force on its territory.

Thank you. I will be checking up and relying on your posts for the facts. Are you studying Journalism or somethin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11/30/06 06:47:56 AM 

Nah, I am just in my last 4 semesters of high school. :D High school is 13 years here and I repeated once. I don't know if you have that in your school system, but here we have to opt for 2 school subjects, which in my case are English and Art. Those are my intensive courses and I have more lessons in those classes than in others. I don't know why my teacher gave us just that task, but well who cares actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11/30/06 06:51:41 AM 

DS Style wrote:
Check on Jan Pronk, works for the UN as Special representative for Sudan and was demanded to leave the country.

Thanks. I will do. I am not sure whether it will be useful for the assignment though.

Post subject: Fighting against Brothers
PostPosted: 11/30/06 11:12:59 AM 

All the inhabitants of Darfur are Sunni Muslims, the Umma party, is the poilitical party, the Darfur inhabitants, used to support in the past. However the alienation that had been occuring in historic event's or issue's between them and Sudan's Muslim North. This helped play a major role, in the developmental stages prior to the present conflict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11/30/06 01:26:24 PM 

Amnesty International organises some actions for Darfur this year. At least in the Benelux, but a quick check shows me that the German Amnesty does this too.

http://www2.amnesty.de/ (third article)

I would suggest heading down to some Amnesty International representative or office (there must be some in Berlin, I should think). They'll probably have loads of information.

Post subject: Brother fighting against Brothers
PostPosted: 11/30/06 03:29:37 PM 

The inhabitants of Darfur, can either be classified as Arabs, or Africans, also like in Northern Sudan, all these inhabitants, have deep roots within Islam's culture. Darfur's conflict, is a result of two ego's, searching for power, for example Darfur has a Muslim leader with tie's within the Arab influence, and then there is the neighbooring eithnic back'round, of black Africans, which are pursuing to have a leader of their own. Darfur then become's a play'ground for these two tyrannical party leaders, Could YOu imagine, Canada, going to war, against the U.S., ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12/02/06 11:06:28 AM 

I check out the Africa news page on the BBC near every day. it's very interesting, if a little depressing because of all the conflict. I just find it fascinating, all these different peoples, groups, borders don't really mean much.... just very interesting.

If I were you I would've made the subject about Somalia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12/02/06 03:47:15 PM 

MZA wrote:
I check out the Africa news page on the BBC near every day. it's very interesting, if a little depressing because of all the conflict. I just find it fascinating, all these different peoples, groups, borders don't really mean much.... just very interesting.

Yeah, my main source is the BBC page. I don't do it everyday though.
I could have taken any topic. Like "Sheep in south-west europe" if I wanted. And that made it real hard to pick one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12/02/06 05:59:46 PM 

Serra wrote:
MZA wrote:

Yeah, my main source is the BBC page. I don't do it everyday though.
I could have taken any topic. Like "Sheep in south-west europe" if I wanted. And that made it real hard to pick one.

Oh right, I hate it when they make it so open ended for you to do projects like that. So difficult to pick one where you think theres enough material to yield a good peice of work, but not so much that it takes 25 hours in a day just to cover all the ground.

In this context, i think you chose well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/24/07 06:19:30 AM 

I never did my homework that semester. But here's something new and interesting.

Leader: U.S. Exaggerates Darfur Woes
Saturday, Feb. 24, 2007 By AP/JEFF KAROUB

(Detroit) — Sudan's president told attendees of the Nation of Islam's national convention Friday that the United States is exaggerating troubles in his country's volatile Darfur region so it can control the country as it has in Iraq.

President Omar al-Bashir was invited to speak via satellite at the three-day convention by representatives of longtime Nation leader Louis Farrakhan. Al-Bashir said he was using the address, which was scheduled for live broadcast on Sudanese television, to call on the mass media and American public to learn the truth about his country.

"A number of governments, including the U.S., are putting pressure (on Sudan)," he said. "They're imposing solutions that don't respect the dignity of our nation."

More than 200,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million been chased from their homes in Darfur since 2003, when rebels from ethnic African tribes rose up against the central government.

A 7,000-strong African Union peacekeeping force has been trying to stop the ongoing violence in the region, but the force is underfunded and ill-equipped. Al-Bashir has rejected a United Nations Security Council resolution calling for 22,000 U.N. peacekeepers to replace the AU force.

He reiterated comments he made last week that he would not allow U.N. peacekeepers into his country. He suggested that Sudan could accept more African Union peacekeepers — with U.N. support.

He said the AU force is "doing fantastically well" while the Security Council resolution would put "Sudan under the full mandate of foreign countries" and gives U.N. troops "the same position as coalition forces in Iraq."

Al-Bashir said media reports of 400,000 casualties are false. He also denied reports of ethnic cleansing among tribes. He said Darfur is "quite calm," and said its problems are limited to a small section in the region's north.

The office of the International Criminal Court's prosecutor in The Hague said Thursday he would disclose the names next week of suspects in Darfur atrocities and present judges with evidence linking them to war crimes.

The judges will have the power to issue warrants, but it remains to be seen if they can be executed. Sudanese authorities have not signed the international treaty that created the court and claim it has no jurisdiction in the country.

Farrakhan's Chief of Staff Leonard Farrakhan Muhammad, who extended the invitation to al-Bashir, said after the speech it was an important message for Nation members and others to hear.

"Whatever happens in Africa is the business of black people," he said. "Don't you dare suggest this is beyond the business of the Nation of Islam."

The conference ends Sunday with an address by Farrakhan at Ford Field, home of the National Football League's Detroit Lions. The event is being billed as the final major address for the 73-year-old leader, who ceded leadership last year to an executive board because of illness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/24/07 06:52:21 AM 

Serra, have you come across any resources/websites that are particularly good for data/information/news about African countries in general?

I'm about to do a group project about Nigeria for my Development Economics unit, so if you've got any hints they'd be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/24/07 07:09:48 AM 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/default.stm
Just search that site. It's very useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/24/07 09:14:57 AM 

Any others aside from the BBC?

We don't get as much credit/as many marks unless we take from a wide range of sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/24/07 11:07:11 AM 

When you click on a country profile on that site. Scroll down... then there is a scroll-menue where you can choose between all countries of africa. When you click on a country you get a list of its newspapers at the bottom of that page. A lot of the newspapers have their own sites linked which you can use too.

Last edited by hermit on 02/24/07 11:24:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02/24/07 11:20:56 AM 

Serra wrote:
When you click on a country profile on that site. Scroll down... then there is a scroll-menue were you can choose between all countries of africa. When you click on a country you get a list of it's newspapers at the bottom of that page. A lot of the newspapers have their own sites linked which you can use too.

Cheers I'll check that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03/15/07 07:51:24 AM 

Good Luck Serra, have a great graduation. Do you have proms and all that after graduation in Germany? It seems Africa is going into an all out war. Money taken, refugees living in camps like prisioners thanks for sharing what you've learned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05/21/07 12:54:00 PM 

GIGI wrote:
Good Luck Serra, have a great graduation. Do you have proms and all that after graduation in Germany? It seems Africa is going into an all out war. Money taken, refugees living in camps like prisioners thanks for sharing what you've learned.

Of course... But I'm not really into stuff like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06/25/07 09:05:25 PM 

What does Minni Minnawi plan to do about the current state of his soldiers alliance with the Sudan government?

JT

http://www.myspace.com/joeytrust