hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 12/19/14 05:11:32 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 06:38:00 AM 

If you live in the ILL state then you more than likely know things have heated about rather the University of Illinois should get rid of their mascot Chielf Illini. If you ever seen a halftime game at U of I, they have some white dude dancing around in so-called traditional native american dress...basically he looks like a fool. There are also Aztec & Jewish mascots and other ethnic masoct across the country. I know this was discussed once on the old board..but I attended a presentation on Native American Mscots last night and it is on my mind...thoughts on the issues? Does anyone see nothing wrong with this?

That jiggy shit is over / the war is on / I only want to be a soldier / I'm holding on, to a culture / Focused like Gordon Parks when it's sorta dark / For niggas that's flooded with ice / my thought's the ark - Common (Dooinit)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gemini-Two-1 on 2001-04-20 09:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gemini-Two-1 on 2001-04-20 09:41 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 07:05:00 AM 

well we also had the whole chicago blackhawk thing....just leave em alone its not hurting any1

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 07:12:00 AM 

That is the point...it is hurting people. native Americans are very offended by the mascots. This is almost as bad as blackface. If you really need some rasons on why this is bad ask me....peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 07:50:00 AM 

Quote:
On 2001-04-20 10:05, Mc_NeKe wrote:
well we also had the whole chicago blackhawk thing....just leave em alone its not hurting any1

So when did you start speaking for everyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 07:58:00 AM 

i think its ignorance hidden behind athletic sporting events, and since its not a private institution and is funded by the state goes to show you that the government is bragging about genocide, but that's nothing new to people who are watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 11:04:00 AM 

washington d.c...home of the government, home of the Redskins...insensitive bastards. They changed the Bullets to the Wizards, which didn't offend, simply implied but they keep the Redskins. bassackwards IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 11:13:00 AM 

I go to U of I and it's a very heated topic here. I am totally opposed to the shit that the chief does at games. It is a disgrace to all native americans and I think people here are blind to the fact that the chief represents a parody of an entire culture. My boy is native american and I can see how deeply it affects him when he talks about it. I think that the the chief himself can probably stay, just not dance around with no knowledge of the actual ceremonial dances done by a culture that he is not apart of, nor seems to care about in terms of the actual traditions that native americans hold to the highest esteem.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 11:41:00 AM 

Peace

I wasnt gonna get personal with this, but I think I need to be the voice of my people in regards to this issue seeing how im half cherokee. In fact my family is from the area near UofI. They are from Champaegne, Decatur, and Matoon. I have spent a lot of time down there in my life, I have ancestors buried on Native American Burial grounds in that area. Now that you all have a understanding of my background ill say what i have to say. I must admit that I have no problem with UofI using a native american as a mascot, as long as a parody isnt made of him, his culture, and people. Its bad enough that my people were virtually eradicated, and that UofI like many other complexes sits on land that was stolen and some buildings even sit on NATIVE AMERICAN BURIAL GROUNDS, but to make fun of a people is first of all just childish, and secondly very disrespectful. So wheres the respect? Where the honor, the pride? If they like native americans so much then why doesnt the university ever try to do anything to help the native americans and people with native american ancestry out who live in that area? Where are the cultural and educational tributes to native americans? Once again wheres the respect? Honestly its typical, and its hard for one not to become nullified in this opportunistic society. The sad thing about it is that people actually think like Gemini, they think its not hurting anyone, when the truth is its hurting the few of us that are left.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 01:41:00 PM 

Quote:
On 2001-04-20 14:41, LOGiC wrote:
The sad thing about it is that people actually think like Gemini, they think its not hurting anyone, when the truth is its hurting the few of us that are left.

Peace

Logic...You misunderstood what I said. I find the mascot to be humiliating to Native Americans! It is as bad as whites in blackface. I thought I made that clear in my posts....anyway you should know from posts in the past that I would never support something like the chief...Peace

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gemini-Two-1 on 2001-04-20 16:42 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 01:53:00 PM 

Peace

Gemini: My appologies, it was a typo. I meant to name Mc_NeKe.

Peace and Blessings

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 02:03:00 PM 

Samboism. tsk tsk

I took a class on this topic which enlightened me as to where the hate stems from. It is wrong yet since it is not about to change, I take it like this-

Have as much pride in it as is possible. Perhaps when it is no longer a hot topic generating revenue it can be changed. Or start your own team and name it the Red Faced alki's or the 'Pale Hoard' to prove the point.

peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 02:47:00 PM 

but illinois isnt using the mascot as a parody, see its jsut certain sterotypes that gets people fired up

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 05:08:00 PM 

Logic..it's all good

Neke..that is the point I know a lot of illini fans and students. I know the cousin of a past Cheif Illini. Most of these people are not hardcore racist and they believe that mascot is not harmful but a sign of pride for native americans. This is ignorance at it finest! If native americans are telling you it is a parody...then take their word for it! Also this shows the mentality of the powers that be...they try to define what and what not is demeaning to another group..while at the same time saying the group itself has no say..Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04/20/01 09:40:00 PM 

i get were ya coming from....

®™1®™