hiphop-elements.com

It is currently 10/30/14 11:17:42 PM

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/19/03 07:39:26 PM 
INCOG wrote:
Rum Diary- Hunter S Thompson...This is one of my favorite books ever..it's hilarious

i got that at the library a few months back, but never read it. i like funny stories, so i might go get it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/19/03 08:43:02 PM 
Josh wrote:
INCOG wrote:
Rum Diary- Hunter S Thompson...This is one of my favorite books ever..it's hilarious

i got that at the library a few months back, but never read it. i like funny stories, so i might go get it again.
the shadow that scares me by dick gregory..speaking of which i need to find that book and read it again

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/24/03 10:30:06 PM 

Just finished Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk....Pretty Dope...Fucked up, but good for the mind and entertaining....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/25/03 05:25:09 AM 

INCOG wrote:
Just finished Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk....Pretty Dope...Fucked up, but good for the mind and entertaining....

good. now read the alchemist

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/26/03 11:44:07 AM 

in honor of one of the most influential intellectual activist (at least in my opinion), anyone interested in the palestinian/israeli conflict should read:

The Politics of Dispossession, by Edward Said.

Dr. Said died last night after a long bought with lukemia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/27/03 02:50:56 PM 

"The Question of Palestine" by Edward Said is good too.
It goes a little too deep into the topic of Israel/Palestine, but I guess it's meant as a resource rather than a literary book you just pick up and read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/27/03 03:28:49 PM 

just reading the dark tower series by stephen king....i'm on book two, i started and finished the first book yesterday.

I am the poet Laureate of the fucking Trauma ward! I am the chocolate flake of death impaling the cluster nut sundae of your fucking existence! who am i? The Ice hearted pistolero from the murderverse, with chalk outline around my soul!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/27/03 09:38:47 PM 

Tariq Ali-The Clash of Fundamentalisms

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/29/03 12:02:28 PM 

samuel beckett's trilogy:
malloy, malone dies, the unnameable

you succckas!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09/30/03 08:22:52 PM 

:x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/04/03 12:14:16 PM 

cheer up man, just joshing..

:angel:

um, kafka is good too.

kafka, proust, joyce, beckett: these'll do you fine.

i like gogol as well, and one you don't hear much of but is a real gem is
'a hero of our time' by lermontov.. it's short too, so you don't have to be all intellectual to give it a try.. homeboy was all up on that existentialist ish well before it was cool in france.

on which tip, heidegger and kierkegaard are good.

and the mr men books.

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/07/03 09:02:02 PM 

have ne of u eva read "Night" by Elie Wiesel...so sad its all about the holocaust yeh but after i read it there was alot of things they did to the Jews that i have never learned about back in high skool i cried in that book its very good everyone should read very good to bring up ur morals

Post subject: books
PostPosted: 10/10/03 09:02:08 AM 

I am a student of history but read on many subjects. Here are some of my favorites:

Maus I & II by Art Speigelmann..... It is an avant garde comic based on his father's holocaust survival.... Great concept, real personal, enables the reader to visualize the camps and experiences

The Ghost of King Leopold by Adam Hoschild.... Belgium's King Leopold colonized the only remaining unclaimed European territory in the Congo and proceeded to murder more Africans than the Holocaust.... Provides reasons for central Africa's turmoil today

Midaq Alley... forget author.... about late 19th century Egypt and the changing political climate all focused in one alley... If you enjoyed Things Fall Apart, you'll enjoy this

Revolution of Conscience.... Based on Martin Luther King's philosophy on life and nonviolence

Bridge to the Sun.... An autobiography of an American woman who married a Japanese diplomat prior to Pearl Harbor and then left t live out the war years in Japan

Enjoy

Post subject: excuse me...
PostPosted: 10/21/03 10:13:48 AM 

hi there verity. the author of "Heart of Darkness" is joseph conrad, no o'connor. sorry for being picky...

i happen to disagree about watching "apocalypse now", though. whereas it is a superb film on its own, the two stories are distinct and cannot be compared in my humble opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/21/03 10:26:36 AM 

knows:
read "King Leopold's Ghost" by Adam Hoschild. It desrcibes how the two are based on the same story. In the Congo their was a Belgian general, Brando's character, and the Conrad was commissioned to find him, Sheen. The General with European technology submitted the Congonese by cutting off heads, hands and displaying them as a sign of power. check it out

PiEce

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/21/03 10:56:12 AM 

yes, uh...

francis ford coppola was inspired by heart of darkness to make apocalypse now. this is true.

the fact remains that although there are inevitable similarities, the two stories are entirely distinct from one another...

check out the film documentary "heart of darkness" by coppola.
it is about the ordeal that making the film was...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/22/03 11:58:03 AM 

Covert Action: The Roots of Terrorism
Ellen Ray (Editor), William H. Schaap (Editor)

Quote:
Look daddy. The boats are swimming on the water...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/23/03 02:41:48 AM 
If i were strong enough id pick one up.. :afro:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/23/03 02:47:08 AM 

Insanely's Master wrote:
If i were strong enough id pick one up.. :afro:
:afro:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10/23/03 10:29:39 PM 

Dirt McGirt wrote:
d_realword wrote:
Dirt McGirt wrote:
The Bachman Books - Stephen King (Rage, Long Walk, Roadwork, Running Man)

Dark Alliance : The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion - Gary Webb

yo dirt i was gonna get the bachman books but i wasn't sure so it it worth it...can you just help me with a little review on the stories....i didn't like fire starter cos the book started of very good and just ended as if it was rushed.

Yeah, the Bachman books were madness. Each one is about 150+ pages long. I read all four in about a week, couldn't put that shit down. It's well worth it. "Rage" is about a kid taking over his classroom with a 9mm and goes onto expose all the kids in the class as all having weaknesses. King actually got questioned by the FBI cause he wrote it when he was 17. It's a mindblowing story. The second one is "The Long Walk", and very well written as well. Basically, a bunch of people have to walk at least 4+ mph until only one survives. You are given rations and thats it, you can't stop or...some of the ways the people die along the walk are crazy. You should buy it for these two alone. "Roadwork" and "Running Man" are good as well, the first about a man who won't let the state build a new highway because it will run right through his house, a lot more interesting than you could imagine...and the second about a game show that executes contestants on live TV :o , a movie was made with Shwarzenegger about it, but the book is better. Definitely peep 'em.

Now, that is what I love in a book thread; a nice synposis in which case has driven me to pick up those books. :)

William Upski Wimsatt, I'm surprised isn't more revered on this forum.
Bomb the Suburbs! & No More Prisons were books that changed my life.
Bomb the Suburbs is mostly about hip-hop & urban reclamations of space & what he learned while bombing & being a teenager that somehow was thrown into the media spotlight cos he wrote an article about being a white kid in hip-hop.

No More Prisons deals more with issues of education & being proactive especially if you come from an affluent background as Upski has & has no qualms about it because he has decided to use it to his advantage. Being a broke ass, I can't really relate but I see the potential. The book also delves pretty heavily into the positives of home schooling & how the latent functions of the education system have taken over the manifest functions & really there is nothing you learned in school in terms of "knowledge" that you could not have learned otherwise. He poses this question to the reader, go ask a teacher/prof if they could think of one thing they learned in school they couldn't have on their own, and if they couldn't have why not?

I asked my mom, she couldnt think of one thing. My ten year old brother is home-schooled. I wish I would have been too.

word to cool parents.

Ok, enough for now. =)

magda

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next