Posted on: April 11, 2008 11:47 MST
Filed under: Latin, Reggae
Rare eclecticism marked the 19th annual Billboard Latin Music Awards, with no one artist or genre dominating the list of winners.
Instead, the changing Latin demographic, already reflected in increasingly diverse radio formats and broader TV options, permeated the winners' list in sales and radio airplay categories. The honors were handed out tonight (April 10) in Miami and aired live on Telemundo.
Leading the pack with three wins was veteran tropical star Juan Luis Guerra and his group 440, whose album "La Llave de Mi Corazon"(EMI/Televisa) won in the tropical album of the year, duo or group category. Guerra and 440 also won Hot Latin Songs artist of the year, and Guerra took home producer of the year, underscoring the perennial radio appeal of his songs.
Scoring two wins each were reggaeton star Daddy Yankee; banda diva Jenni Rivera; pop star Gloria Estefan; urban bachata group Aventura; late regional Mexican singer Valentin Elizalde; duranguense group Alfredo Ramirez y Los Creadorez del Pasito Duranguense; reggaeton duo R.K.M. & Ken-Y; and new pop acts Kany García and Camila.
Daddy Yankee's wins included the newly created Latin album of the year category for "El Cartel: The Big Boss" (El Cartel/Interscope/IGA), the top-selling album during the eligibility period. The Top Latin Albums artist of the year nod went to Elizalde, whose sales have soared since he was shot to death a little more than a year ago. In a surprising twist, the Hot Latin Song of the year award went to Aventura's "Mi Corazoncito," which spent virtually the entire eligibility period on the Hot Latin Songs chart.
This year's songwriter of the year award went to Mexican star Marco Antonio Solis. Special awards went to Conjunto Primavera, which received Billboard's Lifetime Achievement Award celebrating its 30 years in the business, and Juanes, who received the Spirit of Hope Award for humanitarian work done with his Mi Sangre foundation.
Finalists and winners are determined by their performance on the Billboard charts, as measured by Nielsen SoundScan and BDS during a one-year period from the Feb. 10, 2007, issue through this year's Feb. 2 issue.
This year, awards were given in 54 categories. Besides Latin album of the year, the other new category, Latin ringmaster of the year, was won by Down AKA Kilo's "Lean Like a Cholo."
WAIT... THERE'S MORE STUFF
- Daddy Yankee - Limbo
- Daddy Yankee - La Nueva y La Ex
- Daddy Yankee ft. J Alvarez - El Amante
- Daddy Yankee - Gasolina [Official Music Video]
- Daddy Yankee - Ven Conmigo ft. Prince Royce
- IMPERDIBLE ENTREVISTA A DADDY YANKEE EN SOUNDTRAX/ BANG TV
- Daddy Yankee - Lovumba
- Daddy Yankee - Ora por mi
- LLEGAMOS A LA DISCO - DADDY YANKEE
- Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Wisin, Farruko, Arcangel, J Alvarez y Plan B - La Reunion
- Reggaeton Mix Vol 1 HD Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Pitbull, Wisin & Yandel, J Alvarez, Arcangel, Yomo
- Daddy Yankee, Arcangel, De La Ghetto, J Alvarez, Tony Dize, Amaro - No Esperes Mas
- Daddy Yankee - La Noche De Los Dos ft. Natalia Jiménez
- Daddy Yankee Ft Nova & Jory - Aprovecha (Video Official / Original) HD Nuevo 2012
- Daddy Yankee Le Responde A Don Omar
Lopez to host Noche de Ninos gala
Reggaeton Gets 'Grand Theft' Push
Latin Rocker Juanes Projects Political Voice In U.S.
Jennifer Lopez: Twins Are Fantastic
Toxicology Reports Show Tejano Singer Was Intoxicated During Bus Accident
Jennifer Lopez TLC Show 'Not A Reality Show'
J.Lo To Star In New TLC Reality Show
Shakira Heaps Praise On U.K. Leader Brown